- White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili
Meal Tags: Dinner, Lunch, Make-ahead, One-pot
Dietary Tags: Egg-free, Gluten-free, Nut-free
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 15oz cans white beans (cannellini, navy, great northern), drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can corn
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeño and garlic and cook for another minute. Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and ground coriander. Cook for 1 minute to bring out the flavors in the spices. Add broth, beans, chicken, and corn. Stir well and bring the mixture to a boil.
Once the chili is boiling, cover, and reduce the heat the medium-low. Simmer the chili for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or so to prevent it from sticking.
In a medium heat-safe bowl ladle one cup of broth over the room temperature cream cheese while whisking. Add another cup of broth and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth. This method is called tempering and will prevent the cream cheese from curdling when it is added to the hot chili. Add the cream cheese mixture back into the chili and stir well.
Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.