- Smoky Corn Chowder
Smoky Corn Chowder
Meal Tags: Dinner, Lunch, Make-ahead, One-pot, Soup
Dietary Tags: Egg-free, Nut-free
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup sour cream for serving
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives for serving
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pot and transfer it to a paper towel lined plate. Set it aside.
In the same pot, add the onion, celery, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the jalapeño and chipotle peppers and cook for an additional minute. Add the corn, potatoes, chicken broth, and milk or cream. Bring the mixture to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the flour mixture, stirring constantly, and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve immediately topped with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chives or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.