- Creamy Tomato Soup
Creamy Tomato Soup
Meal Tags: Dinner, Lunch, Make-ahead, One-pot, Soup
Dietary Tags: Egg-free, Gluten-free, Nut-free
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8-10 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cream (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh basil for garnish
Heat the oil In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they become soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add tomatoes and let them cook for about 5 minutes so they absorb all the flavor of the onions and garlic. Add the vegetable broth, Parmesan cheese, tomato paste, and brown sugar and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add cream.
Purée the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a traditional blender. If using a traditional blender, remember:
• Only fill your blender 1/3 full.
• Remove the centre insert in the lid of your blender to allow hot air to escape.
• Cover 3/4 of the hole with a kitchen towel to avoid splashes.
Enjoy immediately garnished with fresh basil or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
**CAUTION: Use extreme caution when blending hot liquids in a traditional blender. Garnish with fresh basil.
Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.