- Bone Broth
Meal Tags: Make-ahead, One-pot, Soup
Dietary Tags: Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Nut-free
- 4 lbs beef bones (short ribs, knuckle bones, oxtail)
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half to expose garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Place the beef bones, carrot, celery, onions, leek, and garlic on a nonstick baking tray. Bake until they have lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes. Carefully transfer the bones and vegetables into a slow cooker. Cover them with water and add the remaining ingredients, except for the apple cider vinegar. Cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.
Carefully strain the broth through a sieve and stir in the apple cider vinegar. Allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, remove any solidified fat that has collected on the surface of the broth.
Use the broth immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 6 months.