- Beef & Barley Soup
Beef & Barley Soup
Meal Tags: Dinner, Lunch, Make-ahead, One-pot, Soup
Dietary Tags: Dairy-free, Egg-free, Nut-free
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1/2“ cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 9 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Season the beef well with salt and pepper.
In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat. Add the beef and brown on all sides. Transfer the beef to a bowl and set it aside.
Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the onion, celery and carrots. Cook until they begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes and add the garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bay leaf and barley. Cook for 30 seconds and add the broth. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer until the barley is cooked through, about 35 to 40 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.